Skip to main content

A Christmas Miracle




So if anyone knows a little bit about me, I grew up just with my mom. My parents divorced when I was three years old and my dad got remarried and had three kids. Now, my brothers were never really in my life until about a couple months ago... why? God only knows. I was just a kid... of course growing up I  favored my mom because she did stick it out and raise me this entire time. But it wasn’t fair to me. I wasn’t really allowed to be a part of my brothers lives. Now the big question is why? I could go on and blame my dad and his wife but the real answer is that I couldn’t tell ya.


Time went by, I got older. The oldest brother actually reached out to me. It was like he knew it wasn’t my fault, because it really wasn’t... I wanted to be there... I prayed about it every night. All I ever wanted was to be around and have that brother/sister relationship, be that good role model, be there for THEM. Like I said a couple months ago things changed. My dad reached out, he apologized, he started to put an effort in that I’ve never seen before... CONSISTENT effort. Then I had two options:


  1. Be stubborn, shut him out, and potentially shut out the opportunity to build some type of relationship with my brothers and dad. 
  2. Forgive my dad and potentially build a relationship with him and my brothers.


Oh of course, I was putting myself in a vulnerable position of getting hurt again. What if they stop talking to me? What if they delete my phone number again? I was scared to lose them for the second time.  


But one of my good friends told me “ better late than never” just think about that... better late than never. She’s right, because deep down all I ever wanted was that relationship. OF COURSE it hurt not having that relationship with my dad and brothers a LONG time ago... but it’s now here... and like I said I don’t know what happened, I don’t know what magical miracle God made happen...But what I do know is that’s it’s here. 


Now 2020, a year of craziness, a year of a world pandemic , and a year of change... change that I will NEVER forget. The first year I got to spend a holiday with my dad and two of my brothers. Where was the other one? God only knows... but what I do know is that I’m grateful. I’m grateful things changed, I’m grateful that I chose not to be stubborn, because I’m human and a girl can be stubborn let me tell you. I’m grateful my oldest brother reached out, I’m grateful my dad changed his mind. I’m grateful for the opportunity to build these new relationships. So, whatever is missing in your life, whether it’s a sibling, parent, or even a friend, my advice to you is to pick option 2. Don’t be stubborn because just like my friend told me... it’s better late than never.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pals That Blog

The Jess & Lyss friendship goes WAY back to our college degenerate days. We both joined the same sorority our sophomore year of college, had the same major, and of course jammed out to the same music. We became closer, made the wildest of memories, and eventually had Jess & Lyss therapy sessions together. We live very similar lifestyles but at the same time, we have VERY different experiences that have shaped us into who we are today. These experiences have brought us closer together to form a friendship neither of us would replace. This blog was originally a one man show. By adding another blogger, we aspire to reach a larger audience as our ultimate goal is to motivate others. Live On is now reconstructed to share our stories, our DIFFERENT stories, that we hope one day someone can benefit from. To let someone know that they are not alone. To encourage others to keep on going. To maybe even save a life. This world is full of obstacles... challenges... but hey, we're in it

New Beginnings

To start,  A check in... How are you? How was your year? Most importantly what have you learned and what are you taking into 2021?  I have to ask myself the same questions. How am I? Fine. How was my year? Crazy. What have I learned and what am I taking into 2021? You have to take care of YOU first. I am taking that along with good, positive vibes into 2021... no matter how crazy this next year may be. I don't really know what to expect this year, I guess no one does. I think it will definitely be another year of change and adaptability. Which isn't always a bad thing, it just may be a challenging thing. But who isn't up for a good challenge every once in a while? To be better, these questions are important to ask yourself, in my new outlook on things at least.  - Everything is so uncertain in life. I can't even put into words how crazy that thought is to me. We wake up everyday without knowing what could possibly happen, good or bad. I have a hard time accepting this.